LỜI NÓI ĐẦU

Trong quá khứ cũng như hiện tại, chùa Từ Đàm đã và đang đóng góp sứ mệnh lịch sử của mình cho Đạo pháp và Dân tộc Việt Nam. Đầu thế kỷ 20, qua các Phật sự Xã hội, Văn hoá, Giáo dục, Nghệ thuật và Kiến trúc Phật giáo, chùa này trở thành trung tâm Phật giáo quan trọng của cả nước, đặc biệt 13 tỉnh miền Trung. Hơn thế nữa, chùa Từ Đàm cũng là nơi in đậm các diễn biến lớn của lịch sử Phật giáo Việt Nam:

        – Chấn hưng Phật giáo vào giai đoạn 1930-1945.

            – Thống nhất Phật giáo ba miền Trung Nam Bắc năm 1951.

            – Chống kỳ thị Phật giáo dưới thời chính quyền Ngô Đình Diệm năm 1963.

            – Một trong 3 trung tâm vận động thống nhất Phật giáo năm 1981

Hơn nửa thế kỷ trôi qua, chùa Từ Đàm đã trải qua nhiều biến cố thăng trầm của lịch sử. Vì vậy, năm 2006 chùa đã được trùng tu quy mô hơn, rộng lớn hơn để đáp ứng các nhu cầu Phật sự cho mọi sinh hoạt của chư Tăng Ni tại Thừa Thiên – Huế và Phật tử các giới trên mọi miền đất nước.

Tập sách nhỏ này có thể giới thiệu sơ lược về Lịch sử chùa Từ Đàm, một cái nhìn thoáng qua nhưng biết được toàn cảnh, quả là việc làm không dễ gì đáp ứng đầy đủ được. Thiết nghĩ, đọc sách này cũng là cách gợi mở để quý vị có thể tìm hiểu và khảo cứu xa hơn về ngôi chùa lịch sử này.

VỊ TRÍ

Hiện nay, chùa Từ Đàm tọa lạc trên đồi Hoàng Long gần dốc Nam Giao, mặt quay về hướng Tây Nam, số 01 đường Sư Liễu Quán, phường Trường An, Thành phố Huế. Chùa cách kinh thành Huế về phía Tây Nam khoảng chừng 2 km, liên thông với đường Điện Biên Phủ về phía bên phải và phía bên trái tiếp giáp đường Phan Bội Châu đi về thành phố.

HÌNH THÀNH VÀ PHÁT TRIỂN

Cách đây hơn 300 năm, vào đời chúa Nguyễn Phúc Thái (1683 – 1693), thiền sư Minh Hoằng – Tử Dung người Trung Hoa đã đến đồi Hoàng Long khai sơn chùa và đặt tên: Ấn Tôn tự. Đến đời vua Thiệu Trị (1841) chùa được đổi tên thành Từ Đàm tự, biển hiệu chùa hiện còn tại nhà Thiền chùa Từ Đàm.

Năm 1938, chùa Từ Đàm được chư Sơn môn nhường lại cho An Nam Phật Học Hội và Từ Đàm được trùng tu theo đồ án của Tôn Thất Sa thiết kế. Vào các thập niên 50 cho đến cuối thế kỷ XX, chùa đã được kiến thiết thêm cổng chùa, nhà thiền, tăng xá, nhà khách, nhà bếp; phần khác là “giảng đường” và văn phòng Tỉnh Hội. Đứng ngoài nhìn vào, có lầu chuông và trống hai bên, chính giữa là tiền đường không có cửa. Chỉ trước chánh điện có ba cửa để vào Điện Phật, trên cửa giữa treo tấm biển lớn nền sơn đỏ chữ thếp vàng 承天省會 ‘Thừa Thiên Tỉnh Hội’. Chùa Từ Đàm vẫn được kiến trúc theo truyền thống, nghĩa là nóc chùa vẫn có đắp hai con rồng quay đầu nhìn về Mặt-nã ở giữa đội Pháp luân. Hai mái trên được lợp ngói âm dương. Các góc mái lợp trên và dưới đều có chạm đủ bộ tứ linh long, lân, qui, phụng được khảm sành sứ rất mỹ thuật. Bên trong chùa lại được kiến trúc theo kiểu chánh điện nối dọc với tiền đường, không có hậu tẩm, không có trụ cột, tạo mặt bằng rộng hơn và đơn giản hơn. Về sau nó trở thành là mô hình của các chùa Hội quán.

CHÙA TỪ ĐÀM HIỆN NAY

Theo tâm nguyện của cố Hòa thượng Thích Thiện Siêu, năm 2006, Hòa thượng Thích Hải Ấn trụ trì chùa Từ Đàm đã đảm nhận việc đại trùng tu chùa Từ Đàm theo quy mô lớn. Ngày 10 tháng 6 năm Bính Tuất (2006) lễ đặt đá trùng tu chùa Từ Đàm được thực hiện. Công việc xây dựng liên tục gần 4 năm, đến năm 2010 hoàn tất và lễ Khánh thành chùa vào ngày 30/3/2010 (nhằm ngày 15 tháng 02 Canh Dần).

Chùa Từ Đàm hiện tại được kiến trúc theo kiểu “Trùng thiềm điệp ốc” như các ngôi Tổ đình xưa. Chùa có một tầng hầm rất rộng dùng để sinh hoạt các lễ hội của chùa. Phía trên tầng hầm; ngoài sân đi vào chánh điện phải bước lên 15 cấp xen giữa một cấp chờ, có lầu chuông và trống hai bên, tiền đường chính giữa tương tự như chùa cũ. Đặc biệt kiến trúc theo kiểu nhà rường: ‘năm gian hai chái’, tiền đường có 5 gian và 5 bộcửa bàn khoa. Bên trong có 3 dãy kết cấu theo thứ lớp: tiền đường – chánh điện – hậu tẩm, mỗi dãy có nóc mái riêng, được lợp bằng ngói âm dương rất công phu. Trên mỗi nóc của 3 dãy ấy đều có hai con rồng chầu đắp bằng sành sứ. Riêng nóc của tiền đường có đắp hai con rồng hồi, quay đầu nhìn vào Mặt-nã đang đội Pháp luân. Các góc cù giao mái trên có hình con rùa và các góc cù giao mái dưới có hình con phượng chân bước xuống, đầu quay ngược lên, ở giữa mái trên và mái dưới có hình con lân đang chạy. Tất cả đều được đắp nổi, khảm sành sứ rất tinh tế. Dưới mái trước có năm khung chữ nhật bằng đá: khung chính giữa là bức hoành được sao khắc lại theo bức hoành Ấn Tôn Tự ‘印宗寺’ của chùa xưa. (Bức hoành nguyên bản làm vào năm 1703 vẫn còn và đang được treo bên trong chánh điện). Bốn khung còn lại, mỗi bên 2 khung chạm nổi hình ảnh sự tích lịch sử đức Phật Thích Ca Mâu Ni.

CHUÔNG CHÙA TỪ ĐÀM

  1. Chuông chùa đúc vào thời Gia Long, ngày 23 tháng 4 năm Quý Dậu (1813), đề 4 chữ Ấn Tôn Tự Chung, nặng gần 416 cân, khoảng 300kg, hiện nay được bảo lưu tại chùa Từ Đàm. 2. Nhân dịp trùng tu chùa, vào ngày 26 tháng 7 năm Đinh Hợi (2007) chùa Từ Đàm đúc quả chuông khác, đề 4 chữ Từ Đàm Tự Chung, nặng 1500kg, tôn trí ở lầu chuông của chùa và hiện đang sử dụng.

CÁCH THỜ TỰ

Cách thờ Phật ở chùa Từ Đàm cũng rất đặc biệt, gian giữa thờ tôn tượng đức Phật Thích Ca Mâu Ni, cao khoảng 1m30, hai tay đang quyết ấn Tam muội, ngồi trên toà sen. Tượng Phật và toà sen được đúc bằng đồng, do hai nhà điêu khắc Nguyễn Khoa Toàn và Nguyễn Hữu Tuân thực hiện tại chính điện chùa vào lúc 8 giờ sáng ngày rằm tháng 7 năm Canh Thìn (1940). Tượng Phật này được tạc theo dáng người Việt Nam, phía trên tượng là bảo cái được chạm trổ rất công phu. Hai bên, mỗi bên treo một tràng phan đề danh hiệu bảy đức Phật quá khứ. Gian bên phải tượng Phật là bức phù điêu Bồ tát Phổ Hiền được chạm bằng đá, gian bên trái cũng là bức phù điêu Bồ tát Đại Trí Văn Thù Sư Lợi cũng được chạm bằng đá.

Có 15 bức hoành, 9 bức treo ở trên những bức liên ba (hoa), 6 bức treo ở trên khung của 3 cửa giữa ra vào phía trong và phía ngoài như sau:

  1. Bắt đầu từ bàn thờ Phật nhìn ra, có ba bức hoành được treo trên liên ba nội: bức giữa đề ‘無上醫王 ’ (Đức Phật là vị vua thuốc tột bậc); bức bên trái đề ‘‘會真如處’’ (Chỗ ngộ chân lý); bức bên phải đề ‘萬德莊嚴’ (Mọi đức hạnh được thành tựu).
  2. Bắt đầu từ bàn thờ Phật nhìn ra, có ba bức hoành được treo trên liên ba trung: bức giữa đề ‘印宗寺’ (Chùa Ấn Tôn); còn hai bức đề ‘佛光普照’ (Trí tuệ Phật chiếu khắp hữu tình), và ‘行願無盡’ (Hạnh nguyện không cùng tận) được treo hai bên.
  3. Bắt đầu từ bàn thờ Phật nhìn ra, có ba bức hoành được treo trên liên ba ngoại: bức giữa đề ‘法從斯仰’ (Pháp được quán sát hết lòng); còn hai bức đề ‘知苦断集’ (Biết khổ đế tức trừ tập đế), và ‘修道證滅’ (Tu đạo đế tức chứng diệt đế) được treo hai bên.
  4. Bắt đầu từ ba cửa giữa nhìn vào, phía trên chính giữa các khung cửa có treo ba bức hoành trên tường: bức chính giữa đề ‘慧日中天’ (Trí tuệ của đức Phật ở trong thế giới); bức bên trái đề ‘慈風普扇’ (Gió từ bi thổi mát khắp nơi), và bức bên phải đề ‘如是莊嚴’ (Trang nghiêm đúng như thật) được treo hai bên.
  5. Bắt đầu từ ngoài sân nhìn vào ba cửa giữa trước tiền đường có ba bức hoành treo phía trên khung cửa: bức giữa đề ‘承天省會’ (Tỉnh hội Phật giáo Thừa Thiên); hai bức hai bên là ‘佛日增輝’ (Mặt trời Phật giáo càng ngày càng sáng), và ‘法輪常轉’ (Bánh xe Pháp luôn luôn chuyển).

NHÀ TỔ

Sau chánh điện, hậu tẩm tức nhà Tổ, gian chính giữa: phía ngoài thờ tôn tượng Tổ sư Bồ-đề-đạt-ma, khoảng giữa thờ di ảnh Tổ khai sơn – Minh Hoằng Tử Dung, trên khám ở phía trong thờ long vị Tổ Khai sơn và 4 long vị Thiền sư kế thừa. Gian bên trái thờ chư Tôn Hòa thượng, Thượng tọa, Đại đức Tăng quá cố có liên quan với chùa Từ Đàm. Gian bên phải thờ hương linh chư vị hội viên của Hội An Nam Phật học, chư Thánh tử đạo, chư vị Gia trưởng, huynh trưởng, các đoàn sinh quá cố của tổ chức Gia đình Phật tử và hương linh các đạo hữu của chùa. Có bốn bức hoành treo ở trên ở trong nhà Tổ: Từ trong bàn Tổ nhìn ra là bức đề chữ ‘明佛心宗’ (làm sáng tỏ Phật tâm là mục đích) treo trên cửa giữa; ba bức khác là từ ở cửa nhà Tổ nhìn vào, bức ở giữa của các liên ba đề chữ ‘無盡燈’ (Đèn tâm không tắt); bên phía phải là bức ‘正法眼藏’ (Mắt Pháp luôn luôn được truyền thừa), bên trái là bức ‘祖印重光’ (Tâm ấn của Tổ sư đang tỏ rạng càng nhiều).

Về Tổ khai sơn, Ngài người tỉnh Quảng Đông – Trung Quốc, pháp hiệu Minh Hoằng – Tử Dung, đã theo thuyền buôn sang Đàng Trong hoằng hóa vào khoảng năm 1677. Chùa Ấn Tôn được Ngài khai sơn trễ hơn thời gian này. Văn bia Thiền sư Liễu Quán, khai sơn chùa Thiền Tôn còn cho biết thêm, Thiền sư Minh Hoằng Tử Dung là người dạy về yếu chỉ của Thiền tông rất hiệu quả. Chính Thiền sư Liễu Quán đã được Ngài dạy tham công án “萬法歸一一歸何處” (muôn pháp về một, một về chỗ nào) và đã được Ngài truyền tâm ấn chứng để sau này trở thành vị Tổ thứ hai có dòng thiền Tử Dung-Liễu Quán rất long thịnh rực rỡ khắp cõi Nam Hà.

Hiện nay tháp của Tổ sư Minh Hoằng Tử Dung được tôn trí tại vườn chùa Báo Quốc. Tháp Tổ được xây theo hình bát giác, cao 4m10, có tầng. Gần Tháp Tổ là bốn ngôi tháp của bốn vị Thiền sư kế thế, trú trì và trùng hưng Tổ đình Từ Đàm.

CÂU ĐỐI.

Phần nhiều các câu đối treo tại chùa Từ Đàm đều do cố Hoà thượng trú trì – Thích Thiện Siêu biên soạn. Tuy nhiên, vì khuôn khổ bài viết có hạn, chúng tôi chỉ nêu ra đây các câu đối có liên hệ với lịch sử của chùa, cùng thời với An Nam Phật học Hội tức chùa Từ Đàm cũ:

* Hai cột trước chánh điện treo hai câu đối của Thái tử Thiếu bảo, Tôn Thất Hân đề:

楊 瓶 甘 露 一 灑 遍 塵 間 三 千 界 外 普 慈 悲 洗 盡 煩 根 曼 陀 作 雨

– Dương bình cam lộ, nhất sái biến trần gian, tam thiên giới ngoại phổ từ bi, tẩy tận phiền căn mạn đà tác vũ. (Bình cam lồ nhánh dương, một giọt rưới trần gian, từ bi rải khắp cả ba nghìn thế giới, tẩy sạch não phiền, mưa hoa khắp nẽo).

蓮 座 香 花 十 方 依 淨 土 百 八 聲 中 呼 醉 夢 聽 來 說 法 頑 石 點 頭

– Liên tòa hương hoa, thập phương y Tịnh độ, bách bát thanh trung hô túy mộng, thính lai thuyết pháp, ngoan thạch điểm đầu. (Hương hoa trên tòa sen, mười phương nương Tịnh độ, trăm lẽ tám hiệu Phật thức tỉnh người mê; trở về nghe pháp, đá cứng gật đầu).

* Mặt ngoài cùng của tiền đường có khắc sáu câu đối. Hai câu giữa (đối hai chữ Phật học) do Bác sĩ Tâm Minh Lê Đình Thám đề tặng:

佛 正 遍 知 無 量 壽 無 量 光 無 量 功 德

– Phật chánh biến tri, vô lượng thọ, vô lượng quang, vô lượng công đức  (Phật là bậc hiểu biết chân chính, rộng khắp. tuổi thọ vô lượng, trí tuệ vô lượng và công đức vô lượng).

            學 真 實 義 如 是 聞 如 是 思 如 是 修 持

– Học chơn thật nghĩa, như thị văn, như thị tư, như thị tu trì. (Học đúng nghĩa chơn thật là nghe đúng, suy nghĩ đúng và thực hành đúng).

* Hai câu kế do cụ Huỳnh Thúc Kháng đề tặng:

            隨 塵 逐 影 我 法 橫 生 迷 流 究 竟 妄 成 貪 瞋 癡 慢 有 漏 業

– Tùy trần trục ảnh, ngã pháp hoạnh sinh, mê lưu cứu cánh vọng thành tham sân si mạn hữu lậu nghiệp. (Do theo trần cảnh mà sinh chấp pháp chấp ngã, sự mê mờ đó tạo nên các nghiệp hữu lậu: tham, sân, si, mạn)

            絕 相 旋 根 自 他 不 隔 覺 性 本 來 具 足 慈 悲 喜 捨 無 量 心

– Tuyệt tướng toàn căn, tự tha bất cách, giác tánh bổn lai cụ túc từ bi hỷ xả vô lượng tâm. (Dứt hết các tướng phan duyên, các căn tự tại, mình với người không còn ngăn ngại thì tính giác xưa nay vốn đầy đủ tâm vô lượng: từ, bi, hỷ, xả).

* Hai câu ngoài cùng là của cụ Phan Bội Châu đề tặng:

            業 緣 萍 合 年 年 白 髮 催 對 面 即 空 寧 把 韶 花 付 流 水

– Nghiệp duyên bình hợp, niên niên bạch phát thôi, đối diện tức không, ninh bả thiều hoa phó lưu thủy. (Thân người như bèo hợp, mỗi năm tóc bạc thêm, trước mặt chỉ là không, sao luống để tuổi xuân theo dòng nước).

世 事 棋 分 處 處 黃 梁 夢 回 頭 是 岸 願 翻 貝 葉 出 優 曇

– Thế sự kỳ phân, xứ xứ hoàng lương mộng, hồi đầu thị ngạn, nguyện phiên bối diệp xuất ưu đàm (Việc đời rối như bàn cờ, nơi nơi đều mộng ảo, quay đầu là bến, nguyện dịch kinh Phật để tỏa ngát hương ưu đàm).

THIN ĐƯNG

Đối diện với nhà Tổ là nhà thiền, tại đây, ngay cửa giữa phía trong có treo bức hoành đề “Từ Đàm tự”, lạc khoản “Thiệu Trị nguyên niên tam nguyệt”, tức tháng 3 năm 1841. Bên trong xung quanh tường treo các di ảnh chư vị Thiền sư quá khứ của Phật giáo Huế; gian giữa ở trước thờ long vị và sau thờ di ảnh cố Hòa thượng trú trì – Thích Thiện Siêu (1921-2001).

Cố Hòa thượng Thích Thiện Siêu trú trì chùa Từ Đàm (1947-2001), Phó thường trực HĐTSTW kiêm Trưởng Ban Giáo Dục Tăng Ni TW (1981-2001). Hòa thượng đã giảng dạy hơn 50 năm tại các trường Phật học và thuyết Pháp cho các Phật tử trên mọi miền đất nước, nhất là Phật giáo miền Trung. Hòa thượng cũng là một trong chư vị sáng lập viên Học Viện Phật Giáo Việt Nam tại Huế. Đặc biệt Hòa thượng đã để lại nhiều tác phẩm dịch thuật và biên soạn rất có ích cho hậu thế.

NG BÁC SĨ TÂM MINH LÊ ĐÌNH THÁM

Từ ngoài đi vào thiền đường, hết tầng cấp ta thấy có tượng bán thân Bác sĩ Lê Đình Thám, pháp danh Tâm Minh. Tượng được tạc bằng cẩm thạch sơn màu xanh ngọc.

Bác sĩ Tâm Minh – Lê Đình Thám sinh năm 1897 tại huyện Điện Bàn, tỉnh Quảng Nam. Lúc nhỏ được phụ thân dạy học chữ Hán. Lớn lên cụ theo học các trường chữ Pháp và trường Quốc Học (Huế), Y khoa Đại học đường (Hà Nội). Cụ đỗ thủ khoa ngành Y sĩ Đông Dương năm 1916, đỗ Bác sĩ Y khoa tại Pháp năm 1930. Sau đó về làm trưởng Viện bào chế & vi trùng học Pasteur tại Huế. Trong thời gian này, Cụ tìm đến học đạo với Thiền sư Giác Tiên – Khai sơn Tổ đình Trúc Lâm và trở thành một cư sĩ uyên thâm Phật học lẫn thế học, có lòng tin Tam Bảo kiên cố và hộ pháp rất đắc lực. Cụ đã dịch bộ kinh Thủ Lăng Nghiêm, giáo thọ Phật Học Đường Tây Thiên và Kim Sơn – Huế, đã có công trong phong trào chấn hưng Phật giáo tại miền Trung những năm 1930-1945, và là người sáng lập Gia đình Phật tử Việt Nam hiện nay. Cụ từ trần tại Hà Nội lúc 10 giờ ngày 7 tháng 3 năm Kỷ Dậu (23/4/1969).

CÂY B Đ

Cây Bồ Đề tại chùa Từ Đàm có nguồn gốc từ Ấn Độ, nơi đức Phật thành đạo, được trồng sớm nhất tại Việt Nam. Vào thế kỷ thứ 3 trước Tây Lịch, khi Tam tạng kinh được truyền ra nước ngoài, Tỷ kheo Mahinda, và Tỷ kheo ni Sanghamitta, con trai và con gái vua A Dục đã đem giống cây này sang trồng tại Sri Lanka (Tích Lan). Về sau, Đại đức Narada, người Tích Lan lại lấy giống cây này sang tặng hội Phật học Trung phần và trồng tại đây, nhân dịp Ngài cùng với phái đoàn Phật giáo Cambodia do bà Kapelès làm trưởng phái đoàn sang thăm Thuận Hóa – Huế vào năm 1939.

THÁP ẤN TÔN

Tháp Ấn Tôn được tôn trí bên góc trái cổng Tam Quan của chùa từ ngoài nhìn vào, gần đường Điện Biên Phủ. Tháp được xây dựng theo hình tháp bát giác, đáy tháp rộng 100m2, cao 27.5m, trừ tầng trệt, có 7 tầng cao và càng lên cao càng nhỏ dần, trong 7 tầng ấy thờ 7 vị Phật quá khứ được đúc bằng đồng: Từ trên xuống, tầng 1 – thờ đức Phật Tì Bà Thi; tầng 2 – thờ đức Phật Thi Khí; tầng 3 – thờ đức Phật Tì Xá Phù; tầng 4 – thờ đức Phật Câu Lưu Tôn; tầng 5 – thờ đức Phật Câu Na Hàm Mâu Ni; tầng 6 – thờ đức Phật Ca Diếp; tầng 7 – thờ đức Phật Thích Ca Mâu Ni.

VĂN PHÒNG TNH GIÁO HI, GING ĐƯNG VÀ NHÀ TĂNG

Đối diện với tháp Ấn Tôn, bên phải cổng Tam Quan của chùa từ ngoài nhìn vào là Giảng đường và văn phòng Tỉnh Giáo Hội. Toà nhà xây cao 3 tầng. Tầng hầm ở dưới, tầng giữa là Văn phòng tỉnh Giáo Hội Phật Giáo Thừa Thiên Huế. Tầng trên cùng là Giảng đường và để sử dụng cho mọi Phật sự khác như: diễn giảng, hội nghị, tổ chức triển lãm, tu Bát Quan trai…

Một toà nhà khác tiếp giáp với Giảng đường là nhà Tăng, toà nhà này có 2 tầng, mỗi tầng có nhiều phòng nhỏ để ở, dành riêng cho chúng Tăng của bổn tự.

VĂN PHÒNG BAN HƯNG DN GIA ĐÌNH PHT T

Bên góc đường Phan Bội Châu và Sư Liễu Quán có một toà nhà lầu 2 tầng, dùng để làm Văn phòng Ban Hướng Dẫn Gia Đình Phật Tử tỉnh Thừa Thiên Huế, có một thư quán và cũng là nơi sinh hoạt của đoàn sinh Gia Đình Phật Tử Từ Đàm.

TỪ ĐÀM, NGÔI CHÙA LỊCH SỬ

Chùa Từ Đàm có vị trí thuận lợi về địa lý: thuộc vùng núi đồi nhưng lại không xa kinh thành, mặt tiền quay về hướng Đông Nam, hai mặt bên là hai con đường thẳng xuống sông An Cựu và lên đàn Nam Giao. Chùa có lịch sử hơn 300 năm xây dựng và phát triển. Chùa từng là nơi an trú, tu tập và hoằng pháp của nhiều bậc Tôn túc Đại sư, tông môn xương thịnh và đặc biệt là nơi phát xuất, diễn tiến của nhiều sự kiện quan trọng của lịch sử Phật giáo Việt Nam. Chùa cũng là Trung tâm của Phong trào Chấn hưng Phật giáo, đã đóng góp vào sự nghiệp phát triển Phật giáo Việt Nam. Năm 1932, Hội An Nam Phật học được thành lập tại chùa, từ đó, Hội thiết lập Phật học đường và năm 1938, thiết lập Phật học Tùng thư để soạn thảo, in ấn và phổ biến kinh sách, tạp chí.

Để kiện toàn tổ chức, Phong trào Chấn hưng Phật giáo thành lập Tổng hội Phật giáo, đặt trụ sở tại chùa, từ đó lập các Ban Trị sự tại các tỉnh. Năm 1951, một hội nghị rất quan trọng được tổ chức tại chùa, nhằm thống nhất Phật giáo trên toàn quốc, quy tụ các đại biểu của 6 tập đoàn Tăng-già và cư sĩ cả nước: Tăng-già Bắc Việt, Tăng-già Trung Việt, Tăng-già Nam Việt, Hội Việt Nam Phật giáo Bắc Việt, Hội Việt Nam Phật giáo Trung Việt và Hội Việt Nam Phật giáo Nam Việt. Hội nghị quyết nghị thành lập một Tổng hội lấy tên là Hội Phật giáo Việt nam, nhằm thống nhất Phật giáo Việt Nam và gia nhập Phật giáo thế giới.

Chùa còn là nơi xuất phát tinh thần Bất Bạo Động 1963, chống lại chính sách kỳ thị Phật giáo của chính quyền Ngô Đình Diệm để bảo vệ Đạo pháp từ ngày 8/3/1963 cho đến ngày 1/11/1963. Trong thời gian đó Hòa thượng Thích Tiêu Diêu đã tự thiêu  tại sân chùa này, làm ngọn đuốt thắp sáng để Phật giáo Việt nam khỏi bị lu mờ.

Hòa thượng Thích Tiêu Diêu, thế danh là Đoàn Mễ, sanh năm 1892 tại Thừa Thiên – Huế. Hòa thượng là đệ tử của Đại lão Hòa thượng Thích Tịnh Khiết tại chùa Tường Vân, Tăng Thống GHPGVNTN, năm 1952 thọ Cụ túc giới, Pháp danh Tâm Nguyện, Pháp hiệu Tiêu Diêu. Hòa thượng đã dự các lớp Phật học tại Tây Thiên, Linh Quang và chuyên nghiên tầm tinh yếu Phật pháp. Ngài tu theo hạnh Đầu đà: ăn ngủ rất ít, nhập thất dài hạn nhiều lần, siêng ở nơi thanh vắng. Nhưng đến khi cuộc tranh đấu chống kỳ thị Phật giáo của chính quyền Ngô đình Diệm phát khởi, thì Hòa thượng xả thất, sau khi lạy Phật, đến ngồi kiết già tại sân chùa Từ Đàm tự thiêu vào ngày 16/8/1963 để cầu nguyện cho Đạo Pháp tồn tại lâu dài. Sau khi hoàn tất sứ mạng, ngài trụ thế 71 tuổi đời, với 32 tuổi đạo, một bậc vì pháp thiêu thân, hiến dâng đời mình cho sự nghiệp chung của Đạo pháp và để lại một chấm son bất diệt trong lịch sử Phật giáo Việt Nam.

CƠ S QUAN TRNG TRONG S NGHIP PHÁT TRIN PHT GIÁO 

Truyền thống tu tập, xiển dương Chánh pháp, phát triển tông môn khởi từ Sơ tổ Minh Hoằng và Nhị tổ Liễu Quán luôn được duy trì từ hơn 3 thế kỷ qua. Nói về Tổ sư Liễu Quán (1667-1742), Ngài sinh tại làng Bạc Mã, tỉnh Phú Yên, mồ côi mẹ lúc 6 tuổi. Xuất gia lúc 7 tuổi (1673) với Hòa thượng Tế Viên ở quê nhà. 14 tuổi (1680) Ngài ra Huế học đạo với Tổ Giác Phong ở chùa Bảo Quốc 10 năm. Vì cha đau nặng, Ngài xin thầy cho về nuôi cha 4 năm nhưng rồi cha cũng mất. Sau đó Ngài trở lại Huế (1695) học đạo với Tổ Minh Hoằng – Tử Dung ở chùa Ấn Tôn – Từ Đàm (1702) được đắc pháp tỏ ngộ. Bốn năm sau chứng ngộ (1708) và Tổ Tử Dung ấn chứng, cho Pháp húy Thật Diệu, Pháp hiệu Liễu Quán và dòng thiền này truyền thừa khắp nơi trong và ngoài nước rất hưng thạnh mãi cho tới hôm nay. Như vậy chúng ta có thể nói chùa Từ Đàm do Tổ Minh Hoằng khai sơn đã giữ một vai trò khá quan trọng trong việc phát triển Phật giáo Đàng trong, và đóng góp sứ mệnh lịch sử cho Phật giáo Việt Nam không phải nhỏ.

Sau pháp nạn 1963,chùa Từ Đàm vẫn là một cơ sở lớn cho mọi hoạt động Phật sự của Phật giáo Huế cũng như của Giáo hội PGVN: Tu tập, giảng pháp, hành lễ, hội nghị và nhiều sinh hoạt Phật sự khác với số lượng Tăng Ni, Phật tử tham gia rất đông đảo. Từ Đàm là ngôi chùa khá quan trọng tại Thừa Thiên Huế.

LỜI KẾT

Tóm lại, từ khi Tổ Minh Hoằng – Tử Dung khai sơn chùa Ấn Tôn cho đến nay, sự tồn tại của chùa là vừa tiếp bước đạo mạch chư Tổ, vừa bảo tồn, vừa phát huy Phật giáo xứ Huế, thậm chí cả Phật giáo miền Trung. Tùy cơ duyên khế hợp đối với từng thời đại, chùa Từ Đàm đã vận dụng lời dạy của Phật Tổ: ‘tuỳ duyên bất biến’ để truyền bá giáo pháp Phật-đà, làm lợi lạc quần sanh. Bởi vậy, nhìn theo góc độ tùy duyên bất biến ấy, ta thấy vai trò của chùa Từ Đàm thật hệ trọng đối với mạng mạch Phật giáo Thừa Thiên Huế nói riêng và Phật giáo Việt Nam nói chung.

Do đó, với chức năng như đã được thể hiện trong lịch sử PGVN từ hậu bán thế kỳ XVII đến nay, chùa Từ Đàm đã nhiều lần được trùng tu, mở rộng nhằm đáp ứng yêu cầu cấp thiết về sinh hoạt Phật giáo trong thời đại mới. Ngôi chùa mang vóc dáng mới, đẹp đẽ, khang trang, đồ sộ hơn trước, nhưng vẫn giữ lại những đường nét, những chứng tích, di vật ngày xưa. Linh khí Ấn Tôn – Từ Đàm vẫn còn mãi trong lòng chư Tăng Ni, Phật tử, như làm nơi quy tụ, nương náu, hoài niệm và phát triển tâm linh. Phải chăng trong ý nghĩa này, vang vọng lời ca bất tuyệt “Từ Đàm quê hương tôi”.

–          “Quê hương tôi miền Trung, sớm hôm chuông chùa nhẹ rung.

Tiếng muôn đời hồn tổ tiên kiêu hùng.

Ôi uy nghiêm bóng chùa Từ Đàm, nơi yêu thương phát nguồn đạo vàng…”[1].

* * *

[1]Từ Đàm Quê Hương Tôi của Tâm Đại – Lê Văn Dũng và Nguyên Thông – Phan Văn Giảng.

 TU DAM, A HISTORICAL PAGODA

Translator: Nguyen Đinh

PREFACE

From the past until the present, Tu Dam pagoda has continuously been contributing a historical mission to Buddhism and Vietnamese Nation. At the beginning of the twentieth century, the pagoda has become an important Buddhist Centre for the whole country, especially for the 13 provinces of Central Vietnam, via its social, cultural, educational and artistic activities as well its unique presentation of Buddhist Architecture. Furthermore, Tu Dam pagoda is also the place imprinted with historical grand happenings of Vietnam Buddhism during the 20th century as follows:

–       Improvement of Vietnam Buddhism in the period of 1930-1945.

–       Reunification of Vietnam Buddhism in three regions: Central-South-North in 1951.

–       Protestation of Buddhism discrimination under Ngo Dinh Diem government in 1963.

–       One of the three centers promoting the unification of Vietnamese Buddhism in 1981.

For more than a half century, Tu Dam pagoda had experienced so much change along with the ups and downs of history. Therefore, in 2006, the pagoda’s restoration was started, in a large-scale plan to a better organization and larger capacity. It is to respond to the contemporary growing demands regarding Buddhist activities for Monks and Nuns in Thua Thien – Hue as well as for Buddhists from all regions of the country.

This small brochure can briefly introduce the History of Tu Dam pagoda. However, a single glance to fully acquaintance the picture is hardly sufficient. One should read this brochure as a suggestive summary which allows further studies about this Historical Pagoda.

LOCATION

Tu Dam pagoda is located on a hill near Nam Giao slope, facing Southeast, at 01 Su Lieu Quan Street, Truong An ward, Hue City. The pagoda is 2kms Southwest from Hue Imperial Citadel, interconnecting with Dien Bien Phu street on the right-hand side and with Phan Boi Chau street on the left-hand side heading towards the city.

ESTABLISHMENT AND DEVELOPMENT

Over 300 years ago, in the time of Monarch Nguyen Phuc Thai (1683-1693), the An Ton pagoda was founded at Hoang Long hill by Chinese master Minh Hoang – Tu Dung. In the dynasty of King Thieu Tri (1841), the name of the pagoda was changed to Tu Dam pagoda. However, this horizontal board of the name is still kept at the Partriarch Shrine Hall of the pagoda.

In 1938, Tu Dam pagoda was given to An Nam Phat Hoc Association by the monks of Tu Dam pagoda and it was rebuilt on the plan designed by Architect Ton That Sa. From the 50’s to the end of the twentieth century, the pagoda had its more facilities built such as the gate, meditation house, living-rooms for monks, guest house, kitchen as well as the lecture hall and the office of Provincial Vietnam Buddhist Sangha.

Looking at the pagoda from outside, on both sides are the bell-tower and the drum-tower, in the middle was the main gate with no door. Next to it is the Buddha Hall with three doors. A horizontal board of its name written in yellow: ‘承天省會 – Thua Thien Tinh Hoi’ on the red background, hung over the middle frame of doors. Tu Dam Pagoda was still designed in traditionalarchitecture, i.e. the roof made with two dragons on left and right sides looking at “Mat-Na” (head of a vertical dragon facing forward) carrying the Turning Dhamma Wheel (Dhamma-pavasstana) on its head. The roofs were laid in double layers with tiles in opposite curvature. A complete set of sacred animals such as ‘dragon, kylin, turtle, phoenix’ were meticulously carved on all the angles of both layers of the roofs, and decorated with artistic mosaic. As mentioned above, inside the Buddha Hall was a long and capacious apartment used as the vertical Hall. There was no Patriarch Hall which usually succeeds the Buddha Hall. This style was subsequently followed by all the pagoda-associations in the local areas. Neither piles nor columns inside made the surface larger and simpler.

TU DAM TODAY

To continue the wish of his Master, the Late Most Venerable Thich Thien Sieu, the Venerable Thich Hai An – the current Abbot of Tu Dam pagoda, has directly conducted a major restoration of Tu Dam pagoda in the year of 2006. And the ground breaking ceremony of Tu Dam pagoda was solemnly organized on the 10th June of lunar year of Dog (2006). This project of great restoration was continuously carried out and completed in time for the inauguration of the pagoda on March 30, 2010 (on the 15th of the second Lunar month in the year of Tiger).

This major overhaul of Tu Dam pagoda follows a very large-scale plan with the architecture of an old pagoda called ‘重檐疊屋’ – multiple house linked together with roofs of double levels. The pagoda has a very large basement used for holding all religious Celebrations. Above the basement, coming in from the front-yard, there are 15 steps with one large waiting step.  Some elements of the old architecture can be seen in this new pagoda, with the bell and the drum tower on both sides, but the entrance Hall now has its doors. However, the new pagoda has the architecture of wood-house with five compartments and two wings. The Front of Hall has five compartments and five carved and pleated doors. The inside has three consecutive blocks: Front of Hall – Buddha Hall – Patriarch Hall. Each block has separate roofs, meticulously covered with tiles lying oppositely. On each roof, there are two dragons sculptured with mosaic. On the Front of Hall, the two dragons are facing the “Mat-Na” carrying the Turning Dharma Wheel as described above. All the angles of the top roof are engraved the image of turtle and all the angles of the bottom roof are engraved the image of a phoenix with her feet walking down, her head looking up. A running kylin is engraved beween the top and bottom roof. All of them are sophisticatedly sculptured in mosaic. Under the fore-roof, there are five rectangular carved stone frames.  The middle one is a replica of the old pagoda with the name of the pagoda: “印宗寺” (An Ton Pagoda). The original, made of and sculptured in 1703, is inside the Buddha Hall now. For the other four stone frames, two is on each side and carved in stone-relief with the images of Sakyamuni Buddha’s stories.

THE BELL OF TU DAM PAGODA

  1. The bell was casted in Gia Long dynasty on the 23rdof April of the lunar year Cock (1813), weighed nearly 416 Vietnamese kilos, approximately 300 kilos, is now stored at Tu Dam pagoda.
  2. On the occasion of the pagoda’s overhaul, a new bell was casted on the 26thof July of the lunar year of Pig (2007) with 4 carved words: ‘慈曇寺鐘’ (the Bell of Tu Dam Padoga), weighed 1500kilos in bronze and, hung in the bell tower now.

WORSHIP

The ways of worshipping at Tu Dam pagoda are very special. In the middle compartment is the Sakyamuni statue, 1m30 in height with ‘Samādhi contact Mudra’, sitting on lotus throne. The statue and the lotus throne, carved in bronze by the architects Nguyen Khoa Toan and Nguyen Huu Tuan, were completed exactly at 8AM on the 15th day of July, the year of dragon lunar calendar (1940). This statue depicts Vietnamese allure. Above the statue is a carefully engraved square-canopy. On each side is a pennant embroidered with names of seven past Buddhas. In the compartment, to the right side of the Buddha statue, the stone-relief of Samanthabhadra Bodhisattva is hung on the middle wall and to the left side, is  the stone-relief of Manjushri Bodhisattva.

There are nine horizontal boards hung on the lotus-spandrels and six more hung above the frames of the middle doors in the naos of the pagoda as follows:

  1. In the first range starting from the altar of the Buddha Hall on the inner lotus-spandrels, there are three horizontal boards on display: on the middle one written the characters ‘無上醫王’ meaning that “the Buddha is a unsurpassed medical king”; on the right one written the characters ‘會真如處’ meaning “realizing the truth (sacca)”; on the left one written the characters ‘萬德莊嚴’, which means that “all the virtues are dignified”.
  2. In the second range starting from the altar the Buddha Hall on the centre lotus-spandrels, there are three horizontal boards on display: on the middle one written the characters ‘印宗寺’ meaning “An Ton pagoda”; on the right one written the characters ‘佛光普照’ meaning that “the Buddha’s wisdom sheds light all beings”; and on the left one written the characters ‘行願無盡’ meaning that the “Good vow is inexhaustible”.
  3. In the third range starting from the altar the Buddha Hall on the outer lotus-spandrels, there are three horizontal boards on display: on the middle one written the characters ‘法從斯仰’ meaning that “the Dharma is respectfully observed”; on the right one written the characters ‘知苦断集’ meaning that “understanding sufferings is to root up their causes”; on the left one written the characters ‘修道證滅’ meaning that “cultivating the way leading to the cessation of sufferings is attaining Nirvana”.
  4. In the fourth range from the doors looking inside, above the frames of the middle doors there are also three horizontal boards displayed: on the middle one written the characters ‘慧日中天’ meaning that “the Buddha’s wisdom reigns in the world”; on the right one written the characters ‘慈風普扇’ meaning that “the wind of compassion blows everyone”; on the left one written the characters ‘如是莊嚴’ “dignifing as Suchness (tathāvidha)”.
  5. In the fifth range looking from the yard to the inside, there are also three horizontal boards hung above the frames of the three centre doors: on the middle one written ‘承天省會’ meaning that “Provincial Buddhist Sangha of Thua Thien”; the other two written ‘佛日增輝’ – “the Buddhist sun is brighter and brighter” and ‘法輪常轉’ – the wheel of Dharma is constantly going round.

PATRIARCH SHRINE HALL

On the backside of the Buddha Hall is the Patriarch Shrine Hall. The hall is divided into 3 sections. In the middle section is the altars of Patriarch Bodhi-dharma with his statue displayed in front and a portrait of the pagoda founder ‘Minh Hoang – Tu Dung’ right behind. Further back is the ‘a wooden altar-cupboard’, on which 5 龍位 Ancestral Tablets are orderly displayed as follows: The tallest one in the middle, is for the founder patriarch and those on the left and right sides are the succeeded Abbots. On the left section is the altar with portraits of the past most Venerable, Venerable and Reverend monks whose lives were related to Tu Dam pagoda. The right section is for worshipping the past members of Association and Buddhist members, Saints of the Vietnamese Buddhist Youth Organization as well as the past Buddhist members of the pagoda. There are four horizontal wooden boards hung on the spandrel in the naos of the Patriarch Shrine Hall:

Looking from the altar of Patriarch to outside, there is a horizontal board with these characters 明佛心宗’ meaning that “getting enlightenment of the Buddha’s mind is purpose” hung above the frame of the centre door. Looking from the doors to Patriarchal altar there are also three horizontal boards hung on the lotus spandrel-canopies: on the middle one written the characters ‘無盡燈’ meaning “inexhaustible mind-lamp”; on the right one written the characters 祖印重光’ meaning that “the Patriarchal mind-seal is brightening more and more”; on the left one written the characters ‘正法眼藏’ meaning that “the eyes of right dharma are always implicated”.

Concerning the the founding Patriarch, he was from the province of Qing-Dong of China, the dharma name: Minh Hoang – Tu Dung. He came on a trader ship to South Viet Nam in the year of 1677. The An Ton pagoda was founded then. According to the marker stone of the Master Lieu Quan, the founder of Thien Ton pagoda, Master Minh Hoang Tu Dung was the most efficient Zen teacher. Master Lieu Quan learned ‘meditation theme’ with Master Tu Dung: ‘萬法歸一一歸何處’. All in one, where is one in? After Master Lieu Quan was enlighted by Master Tu Dung’s teachings, he got ‘the transmission of Mind-Seal’ from the first Patriarch Tu Dung, and later became the second Patriarch of the lineage An Ton-Lieu Quan, which well propagated all over South Viet Nam. The Stupa of Patriarch Tu Dung is still inside the land of Bao Quoc pagoda, the Stupa has an octagonal form, with 5 levels and a total height of 4.1 meters. Near the Patriarch Stupa, there are smaller Stupas of the successive Zen Masters, who were Abbots and renovators of Tu Dam pagoda.

OPPOSITE SENTENCES

Almost the opposite sentences displayed in Tu Dam pagoda were composed by the Late Most Venerable Thich Thien Sieu. In the scope of this article, however, Only the sentences related to the history of the pagoda will be presented:

  1. On the two front posts of the main Hall are the sentences written by Prince Thieu Bao, Ton That Han:

            楊 瓶 甘 露 一 灑 遍 塵 間 三 千 界 外 普 慈 悲 洗 盡 煩 根 曼 陀 作 雨

With the decanter and one branch poplar, a single drop compassionately spreads all over three thousands Universes, purify all defilements, joyful flowers rain in our mind.

            蓮 座 香 花 十 方 依 淨 土 百 八 聲 中 呼 醉 夢 聽 來 說 法 頑 石 點 頭

Flower and incent on lotus throne, every being in Pure-land, one hundred and eight sounds awaken ignorant beings up to hear Dharma preaching, even hard stone is also nod in harmony.

Outside of he Buddha Hall are three pairs of sentences.

  1. The first pair is dedicated by Mr. Tam Minh – Le Dinh Tham:

            佛 正 遍 知 無 量 壽 無 量 光 無 量 功 德

Lord Buddha is the righteous understanding (Samkya-saṃbuddha), unlimited life, infinite wisdom and immeasurable merit.

            學 真 實 義 如 是 聞 如 是 思 如 是 修 持

Studying true meaning is to hear right, think right and act right

  1. The second pair is dedicated by Mr. Huynh Thuc Khang:

            隨 塵 逐 影 我 法 橫 生 迷 流 究 竟 妄 成 貪 瞋 癡 慢 有 漏 業

In according with objective defilements and chasing shadow of objects result in attachment to ego and to things. That is illusion of ultimated end which mistaken conceptualization creates all the actions of discharged delusions: lust, anger, ignorance and arrogance.

            絕 相 旋 根 自 他 不 隔 覺 性 本 來 具 足 慈 悲 喜 捨 無 量 心

Stopping all the objective defilements and checking all the faculties are free, no obstacles between one and others, then the inherent enlightenment will emerge, fulfilled unlimited minds: compassion, love, joy and detachment.

  1. The last pair of sentence is dedicated by Mr. Phan Boi Chau:

            業 緣 萍 合 年 年 白 髮 催 對 面 即 空 寧 把 韶 花 付 流 水

We are from our karma unstable as waterlilies flower formation; grey hair grows each year; look out everything is emptiness; how waste, youth drifts along water!

            世 事 棋 分 處 處 黃 梁 夢 回 頭 是 岸 願 翻 貝 葉 出 優 曇

Life’s preoccupation as a checker, everywhere and everything is a dream, look back will see the shore of stop, wishfully devoted in translating Buddha’s discourses to emanate the scent of flower of liberated mind (udumbara).

MEDITATION HALL

Opposite to the Patriarch Shrine Hall is the Meditation Hall. Inside this hall, a horizontal board is hung above the frames of the middle doors the entrance, read: “Tu Dam Tu” (Tu Dam Pagoda), dated with the following sentence: First year of King Thieu Tri, the third month i.e. March 1841. Many portraits of the Late Most Venerable Monks and Great Masters of Hue Buddhsim are hung over and round wall. In the middle section, there is the altar of the most Venerable Thich Thien Sieu (1921-2001).

Late Most Venerable Thich Thien Sieu was the Abbot of Từ Đàm pagoda (1947-2001), Concurrently Deputy Chairman of the Viet Nam Buddhist Sangha and Head of Department of Education for Monks and Nuns of Vietnam Buddhist Sangha (1981-2001). Over fifty years, he taught the Buddist teachings to many Monks and Nuns in the Buddhist schools and to all the Buddhist laymen in every region of Vietnam, mainly in the centre of Vietnam. He was also one of the founders of the Vietnam Buddhist Academy in Hue. Especially, he had left many useful books that were written or translated for next generations.

THE STATUE OF DOCTOR TAM MINH – LE ÐINH THAM

Entering the meditation hall, at the end of the stairs leading to the hall, is a half-length statue of Doctor Le Ðinh Tham, whose Dharma name is Tam Minh. The statue is carved in marble and painted in jade green.

Doctor Tam Minh – Le Ðinh Tham was born in 1897 in Ðien Ban District, Quang Nam province. When he was young, his father taught him Chinese characters. He then studied at a French school and Quoc Hoc school in Hue. He attended as well the Medical University in Ha Noi. He graduated first of his year of Ðong Duong Physician Branch (Ðồng Dương=Indochine) in 1916 and obtained the Medicine Doctorat degree in France in 1930. Later on, he became the head of the pharmacology and microbiology department at the Pasteur institute in Hue. During this time, he began to study Buddhism with Zen Master Giac Tien who was the founder of the Truc Lam patriarchal pagoda. He became a lay Buddhist, with profound Buddhist understanding and vaste general knowledge as well. He deeply believed into the Three Jewels and actively protected Buddhism. He translated the Śūraṃgama-sūtra into Vietnamese from the Chinese version. As a professor at the Tay Thien and Kim Son Buddhist Academy in Hue, he had a great contribution to the movement of restoration of Buddhism in the central region between 1930 and 1945. He was the founder of the “Gia Dinh Phat Tu” (Vietnamese Buddhist Youth Organization). He passed away in Ha-noi on March, 7th in the lunar year of Cock 23.04.1969 at 10 AM.

BODHI TREE          

The Bodhi tree at Tu Ðam pagoda is related to the one from India where Lord Buddha achieved enlightenment and is the first one to be planted in Vietnam. In the 3rd century B.C., while propagating the three baskets (Tipiṭaka) abroad, the Bhikkhu Mahinda, the son of King Asoka and Bhikkhunî Sanghamita, the daughter of the King, brought an offshoot to plant it in Sri Lanka. In 1939, the Most Venerable Narada from Sri Lanka, went with the Cambodian Buddhist Delegation, of which Mrs. Karpelès was the head, to visit Thuan Hoa – Hue. On that occasion, the Most Venerable Narada took an offshoot of the one in Sri Lanka to offer as a present to the Vietnam Central Buddhist Studies Association and planted it on the present location.

STUPA AN TON

From outside, Stupa An Ton is located on the left corner of the pagoda gate, near Ðien Bien Phu Street. The Stupa was built in an octagonal shape with a bottom surface of approximately 100m² and a height of 27.5m. The Stupa is composed of seven levels (excluding the ground level), and the surface is reduced proportionally with every higher level. In each levels, one of the seven Buddhas from the past, casted in bronze are worshipped. The names of the Buddhas are, from the top to the bottom floor: 1 . Vipaœyin Buddha [毗婆尸佛]; 2. Œikhin Buddha [尸棄佛]; 3. Viúvabhû Buddha [毗舍浮佛]; 4. Krakucchanda Buddha [拘留孫佛]; 5. Kanakamuni Buddha [拘那含牟尼佛]; 6. Kâúyapa Buddha  [迦叶佛]; 7. Úâkyamuni Buddha [釋迦牟尼佛].

PROVINCIAL OFFICE, LECTURE HALL AND THE MONK RESIDENCY

Facing the Stupa An Ton, on the right side of the pagoda gate (when entering the pagoda) is the lecture Hall and the Provincial Office of Buddhist Sangha. The building has three floors. The basement is the lowest floor used as a storehouse; The Provincial Office Buddhist Congregation of Thua Thien – Hue is on the second floor. On the top floor is a lecture Hall that is used to organize various activities including exhibitions, conferences, and lectures as well as for practicing and cultivating the Eight Precepts. The building next to the lecture Hall has two floors with many small rooms and is assigned as monks’ residency.

THE BOARD COMMITTEE OF THE BUDDHIST YOUTH ORGANIZATION

The board committee of the Buddhist Youth Organization in Thừa Thiên Huế province has an office inside a two-floor building located on the corner of Phan Bội Châu and Sư Lieu Quan streets. There is also a bookshop. This is the place where members of Từ Ðàm pagoda’s Buddhist youth Organization gather.

TU DAM, THE HISTORICAL PAGODA

Tu Dam pagoda is situated in a geographically convenient position: it is located in moutainous area but not far from the city; its facade faces Sound-East; on both its side is two roads leading straight to An Cuu river and Nam Giao slope. This pagoda has had a history of over 300 years in construction and development. It has been the place of habitation, Dharma practice and propagation of many great Venerable Masters. It also develops the sect and the place where many important events in the history of Vietnamese Buddhism have happened. It was also the center of the movement of improving Buddhism that contributed to the development of Vietnamese Buddhism. In 1932, An Nam Buddhist Studies Association was founded at this pagoda; since then this Association has established the Buddhist Studies School. In 1938, it set up Buddhist Studies Collection in order to draft, print and distribute the Magazines and Buddhist scriptures.

To fortify the organization, the Association founded the Buddhist General Association, set the seat at this pagoda, and then established the Executive Communities. In 1951, an important conference was held at the pagoda to unify the Buddhist organizations from all over the country. The conference assembled delegates from six groups of Sangha and Buddhists in the whole country, which were the Northern, the central, the Southern Sangha and three Buddhist Associations of Northern, the central, and the Southern. The conference decided to found a General Association which was named the Vienam Buddhist Associations to unify Vietnamese Buddhism and to participate to the world Buddhism.

This Tu Dam pagoda had been arised the strengthening non-violence, as an act of protestation against the oppression policy over Buddhism by Ngo Ðinh Diem government to protect Vietnamese Nation and Buddhism from 08.3. to 01.11.1963. In this time, Venerable Thich Tieu Dieu incinerated himself on the front-yard of Tu Dam pagoda in order to pray for the longevity of Vietnamese Buddhism.

Venerable Thich Tieu Dieu was born in 1892 in Thua Thien – Hue under the name Doan Me. In 1952, at Tuong Van pagoda, he became monk under the Ordination from the Most Venerable Thich Tịnh Khiet who was the Sangha-leader of the Unifying Viet Nam Buddhist Sangha. He got Dharma name Tam Nguyen, and religious name Tieu Dieu. He was also a good student of Tay Thien and Linh Quang Buddhist schools. Especially, he tried to research the main idea of the Buddha’s teachings. He cultivated in the quiet forest (arañña), eating and sleeping little, always lived alone to control his own mind. Until the movement of protestation against the oppression policy over Buddhism by Ngo Ðinh Diem government happened, he came to Tu Dam pagoda, after worshipping the Lord Buddha, sitting on the yard and burned (incinerated)himself on 16th August, 1963 to pray for the long existence of Vietnamese Buddhism. After having devotedly contributed all his life, at the age of 71 and 32 religious years of age, he once again marked a vermillion dot in the Buddhist history with an eternal image reflecting his absolute sacrifice for Vietnam Nation and Buddhism.

THE IMPORTANT PAGODA FOR DEVELOPMENT

For practising meditation, propagating the right Dharma, developing the sect, which had been initiated by the first Patriarch Minh Hoang and the second Patriarch Lieu Quan, has always been maintained over three centuries. On the Patriarch Lieu Quan (1667-1742), he was born in Bac Ma village, Phu Yen province, lost his mother when he was 6 year-old. At the age of 7, he left his family to live with Venerable Te Vien in his homeland. When he was 14 (1680), he went to Hue to learn the dharma with the Patriarch Giac Phong at Bao Quoc pagoda for about 10 years. Because his father was seriously ill, he had to  come back home  to take care of him for 4 years. However, his father passed away and after that he went to Hue again to learn the dharma with the Patriarch Minh Hoang – Tu Dung at An Ton pagoda (in 1702). Here he got understanding of the dharma and 4 years later (1708) he could get insight of truth. He then was transmitted mind-sealed by Patriarch Minh Hoang – Tu Dung and named That Dieu as Dharma name and Lieu Quan as religious name. This transmition of mind-seal is opened by Patriarch Lieu Quan and from this sect of meditation, the propagation to all the country as well as to the outside has been developing so well up to now. Thus we can say that Tu Ðam pagoda, which was founded by Patriarch Minh Hoang – Tu Dung, has played an important role in the development of Buddhism in Nam Ha and in the implementation of the historical mission of Vietnam Buddhist Sangha as well.

After the 1963 suppress Buddhism, Tu Dam pagoda has still been all activities for Province of Vietnam Buddhist Sangha in Thua Thien – Hue and Vietnam Buddhist Sangha: cultivation, Dharma preaching, celebrations, conferences and lot of other activities which monks, nuns and Buddhists has participated with mass of people. Tu Dam has actually been a very important Buddhist pagoda in Thua Thien – Hue.

CONCLUSION

In brief, since the foundation of An Ton pagoda by the Patriarch Minh Hoang Tu Dung, its mission has been to continue and enforce the ancestor-created path for developing Buddhism not only in Hue region, but also in Central Vietnam. Flexible to agree with every era, Tu Ðam pagoda has observed the Buddha’s teaching: “According to causes and conditions but immutable” to propogate the Lord Buddha’s doctrine and benefit all beings. Indisputably, seen from this principle of “according to causes and conditions but immutable”, the role of Tu Dam pagoda in the preservation and development of Hue Buddhism in particular and Vietnam Buddhism in general, is indispensable.

With its function, which has been manifested in the history of Vietnamese Buddhism from the second half of the 17th century up to now,.Tu Dam pagoda has been restored and enlarged many times to aim at satifying neccesary requirements for Buddhist activities in the new era. This pagoda has the new figure and is more beautiful, more spacious and more grandiose, but it has still maintained the features, vestiges and mementos from the former times. The spirit of An Ton – Tu Dam pagoda has been everlasting to warm the hearts of all monks, nuns and Buddhists. Furthermore, it has also been a place for coming, sheltering and developing the mind. Actually, with this significance, the voice and sounds in the song called ‘Tu Dam, my homeland’ will never end:

– “My homeland is the Central Vietnam,

The bell of the pagoda rang gently in the dusk and the dawn.

            The immortal voice of the valiant spirit of our ancestors.

How the majesty encloses Tu Dam pagoda, where the love derived the Buddhism …” [1]

                                                                                        ***

 [1] Tu Dam Que Huong Toi of Tam Dai – Le Van Dung and Nguyen Thong – Phan Van Giang.